Friday, January 13, 2006

updates

I don't update for over a month, I update every 3 hours you just never know.
Here is a brief bio that I think might be necessary since the accidental (and idiotic) deletion of all my previous postings on the original site of the same name. So in a scattered inconsistent bulleted fashion here you go:
  • I started writing on blogger August of 2004 after living by myself in Cincinnati for a month and falling into reading blogs instead of books during summer classes. For some reason I thought it would be less distracting to read little online diaries instead of books that summer, it took me only about a month to realize the addiction was worse than at the library because you could stalk and favorite author with the refresh button instead of finishing a book and having to reconnect with the real world. I immediately became one of those annoying stream of consciousness writers that refuses to capitalize, or edit beyond the whoa-fully inadequate blogger spellcheck.
  • my first and now deleted posts were much like episodes of Seinfeld in that they were about nothing. (I miss them)
  • then Michael came back from his one man east coast tour
  • he asked me to marry him
    (but only after I mercilessly teased him for going away for a month and returning with only a bright red ben & jerry's t-shirt and no jewelry...leading me to believe I forced him into a weird situation and responding with "for real??" instead of the traditional yes. Apparently it wasn't my annoying welcome that spurred him, but our successful 5 year relationship (who would have thought?)
  • That fall I continued working (sales&marketing asst) and going to school full time at the University of Cincinnati to get my masters degree in special education and teaching certification.
fast forward through lots of posts about my random thoughts about one year
  • Michael went to Aspen in the summer of 2005, and I spent a lot of time drinking the wine out of Cincinnati with these girls, Nora & Caitlin
  • in July of 2005 my only nephew turned one, and in august of 2005 my blog turned one...my nephew is infinitely cuter and a better public speaker (dunk dunk hook hook 2 points...Nice!)[he got a basketball hoop for Christmas]
  • fall of 2005 I quit my job to do an unpaid internship at a suburban elementary school
  • when I tell you the children I am teaching can't read, I am not lying. I teach 1st and 2nd grade and really they can't read ...but we're working on it so if you have any good picture book suggestions I will take them. We are working on basic letter recognition so any literacy activities are good. (literacy activities=reading, for Kate, like extra language= babbling, this is why I am getting the master's degree)
    • not that it really matters because I should be changing internships in the next 2 weeks where I expect to start over with emotionally younger, non verbal children with more severe disabilities (yes, this is the placement I have my fingers crossed for)
  • I do have two or three pseudo jobs working with other kids with autism in aba therapy at home and in an exercise class at a local YMCA.
  • I am really looking forward to holding a real job next year with a real paycheck.
  • I am in a constant state of stress when I think about
    • writing my thesis
    • moving to???? L.A.?, N.Y.? Miami? unknown other city?
    • wedding plans
  • and yet I am very excited to move if only to get the hell out of Cincinnati (not my kind of town, I want to be near an ocean)
  • and speaking of oceans, I will be getting married near one (isn't that nice, I hope it doesn't rain but whatever, Angelique's wedding took place during a thunderstorm that was ridiculous and we had fun, she will have to write about that sometime)
that is all for now.
felt I needed a recap since the deletion
let me know if you have any questions.

2 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Thanks - it now all makes sense - not that it didn't before but coming in at the end makes me wonder what went before.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Thanks for your comment on granny about teaching the tests. An elementary school teacher weighed in as well saying much the same thing.

It is such a crock and it helps a lot to hear from educators who say the same thing. Most of our educators here feel the same way.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home