Saturday, January 07, 2006

ets

Today I took the second standardized test that I need to pass to be a certified special educator in the state of Ohio. (Note that I will not be living in Ohio so there is a distinct possibility that I will need to take a variety of other tests to be a certified teacher in another state.) The test was ridiculous, in the most Michael sense of the word. I show up at 10:35, our pass key in says we need to be there at 10:45. The proctor is locked out of the testing room so we do not go in until 11:20. With the standardized directions we do not begin the test until 10:55. I am finished by 11:25 and am forced to sit in the room and stare out the window until 11:55 when we are all allowed to leave. It is like being punished for being a fast reader. The ETS company has a racket with this testing. You pay them ~$150 for every test you take. They are the only company that provides legit study materials which they charge for, from ~$30-$65. I bought none of these and study naught. If I need to retake this test I will be bled for another $150+ and probably study materials. So I can prove to a state I don't live in that my knowledge of critical assessments (usually done by school psychologists --not me--) and historical knowledge of disability law suits will make me a great teacher. bleh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Wow. It's as silly as California.

Just dropping by to thank you for your comment on granny the other day. You're welcome back anytime.

I've always included both my special ed girls in the IEP meetings and the disabled child in her evaluations (unless there was a good reason not to).

It's their lives we're discussing after all.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Poor Nancy! I am sure you passed the test and won't have to shell out another $150. When do you find out the results??
Love you and miss you!!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home